DIY - THE HOLED T-SHIRT

4/20/2014 07:22:00 pm

The holed t-shirt seems to be a growing fashion trend of the moment. First appearing on the Balmain catwalks back in 2010, the style seems to making its way back into the hearts of fashion lovers. The style being worn by Kendall and Kylie Jenner, Matthew Healy and seen on many at Coachella. As I couldn't seem to find any stores that were supplying these tees at a reasonable price, I decided to make my own as it wouldn't be difficult, and it would be a lot cheaper than going out and buying one from a shop. After all, achieving this style is simple and can give edge to a basic look. All you need is two things - a pair of fabric scissors and a plain t-shirt.

I got my t-shirt from Primark for £4, but you can source out this style of t-shirt from almost anywhere. I recommend going a few sizes up when buying, as in my opinion I think that this style looks better when it's oversized. You can get fabric scissors from any arts and craft stores or a haberdashery (I got mine from Hobbycraft). 
 

I used this Steven Alan tee as a guideline, just to ensure that my holes were a suitable size and so I knew good areas to cut my tee.



 The process of making a holed tee is incredibly simple. All you need to do is put your finger underneath the desired area that you would liked to be "holed" and use your other hand to pinch the fabric.





 Ensure that you haven't pinched too much fabric, as you don't want to the holes to be massive. After you're comfortable with the amount of fabric you have chosen to cut, take your scissors and cut the pinched piece of fabric.


And it's as simple as that! Continue this step using various sizes of holes all over the t-shirt to give it a more distressed effect. You can also angle your scissors in different directions and make skinny, longer holes in your top if you fancied it. 



This next step is optional. If you want your tee to look more worn out, you can cut the neck to make the edges rougher. Put on the t-shirt and put a line on the top with pen as to how low you want the neck to reach. Take your scissors and cut a small incision into the top of the left and right side of the neck, and cut right down to the mark you made on the front of the shirt. Your cutting does not need to be equal on both sides as you're making the tee imperfect. When it comes to the back of the neck, use the original neck as a guideline and cut it in a similar shape. 


And that's it! I hope you's enjoyed this DIY which can help you achieve this style even if you're on a small budget.




You Might Also Like

0 comments